St. Peter's Church
We offer a variety of services which begin at 11:00 throughout the month:
Week 1 Holy Communion
Week 2 Family Service & Cafe Church
Week 3 Holy Communion
Week 4 Morning Worship
Midweek Holy Communion is on the first Wednesday of every month at 09.30am
In Bagshaw’s directory of Shropshire dated 1851 the church was described as an ancient structure dedicated to St Peter and consisting of a nave, south aisle, side chapel and chancel with a castellated tower ornamented with grotesque figures and containing five bells.
Pointed arches rising from octagonal pillars separate the side aisle. The Corbet chapel stands at the east end of the side aisle, this was built in 1782 containing a magnificent tomb of alabaster, elaborately ornamented with two full-length figures in robes of Sir Reginald Corbet, robed as a Judge of the Court of Common Pleas and Lady Alice lying in recumbent posture. Sir Reginald was a justice of the Queen’s bench from 1559 until his death in 1566. The sides of the tomb bear the figures of his eleven children, six sons and five daughters with the date when each child was born.
Within the church, there are some good examples of modern stained glass. Some of the earliest Kempe glass around 1876 was used in the East window and the South Aisle East window. The latter which depicts the Adoration of the Magi is especially attractive.
Kelly’s directory of Shropshire in 1891 relates that the church of St Peter was re-built between 1874-1875 at a cost of £10,500 and it is described as an edifice of stone in the early English and Perpendicular style and having an embattled western tower containing six bells. It was Rev Rowland Corbet who was the rector of Stoke on Tern who re-built the church, he had already built the school in 1870 which was used as a chapel of ease during the re-building of the church that was built on the same foundations and in the same style as the old one.
Thomas Dutton known as “The Shropshire Giant” who had taken over the duties of parish clerk at the age of 16 when his father died in 1869 was immensely strong and played a very important part in the task of handling the stones for the building of the tower.
In 1881 the safe in St Peter’s Church was broken open and the contents thrown in the river, resulting in the loss of the earlier registers from 1540.
Externally there are some old tombstones and the basin of an old round font which may possibly date from the 13th Century and a tombstone to George Dod of Petsey who died in 1636. Petsey is the fine black and white farmhouse which you can see across the fields on the other side of the river.
The church cemetery on Warrant road was consecrated in 1904 and contains the graves of many World War 11 servicemen who were probably stationed at the nearby Tern Hill air base and barracks.
In 1553 the church had three great bells and one sanctuary bell. These were recast in 1819 and an additional bell was added in 1874 when the church was re-built. There are now six bells plus a Sanctus bell which was put up in 1873 and hangs in an open stone cot on the east side of the nave.
The organ is an 1874 three manual Brindley and Foster, believed to be only one of two in Shropshire which was renovated in the early 2000’s
Recent years have seen the church moving into modern times. It underwent a period of re-ordering in 2003 and with the long-awaited laying of water pipes, we were able to have kitchen and toilet facilities installed. The lighting and heating systems have also been overhauled and, with carpet laid and comfortable chairs, we have been able to move forward in our commitment to provide a welcoming place for worship and fellowship