St. Mary's Church
Week 1 BCP Evening Prayer 6.00pm
Week 2 Morning Worship 9.00am
Week 3 No service
Week 4 BCP Holy Communion 8.30am
& 10.45am Sunday School
The church of Hales, St Mary, was built in 1856 by the then squire of the village the Rev. Alexander Buchanan. The old timber chapel had been burnt down and so with the nearest place to worship a good few miles away he decided to build this fine pseudo-Gothic church with tower for the people of Hales. The large stain-glassed window to the east of the church, above the altar was added in 1923 by Ernest Byfield Hall who bought the Hales Estate from the Buchanan family in the early 1920’s.
The man who was responsible for the design of St Mary’s was the famous architect Giles Gilbert Scott, who also designed St Pancras Station, The Albert Memorial and numerous churches around the British Isles.
The view from the front of the church is hard to beat as it looks straight out onto the Coalbrook valley and beyond into north Shropshire. The silver goblet and two chalices originate from the wooden chapel and have the crest of the Buchanan family on them dating back to 1833. These are still used for special services today.
The community of Hales has numerous annual activities to help raise money for St Mary’s including a Summer Fête, A Fun Ride horse event, and various other seasonal festivals. The inside can seat comfortably 100 people as well as choir stalls for another 20. There are a range of different services to suit all the congregation and the church is lucky enough to have a very proactive PCC to tackle the challenges of modern church life.